Friday, January 15, 2010

Memories

I recently read a story regarding a childhood memory, and though I was not part of the story I have been to many of the places mentioned, so I was able to relate to the writer through my own experience. This eventually led me to thinking about the human brain and how at times it can act like a time machine. How a story, or a song, or a photograph can trigger the brain to conjure up a memory that can transport you back in time.

It is funny how some memories are so vivid that they could have happened yesterday. Memories are made every moment of everyday and shape our lives and who we are, good and bad. They allow us to relive life. I understand this because that is what my business is all about; preserving a moment in time to be relived a lifetime.

The really interesting concept is that only some memories are retained by the brain. So I question, what causes the brain to file away one memory and discard another? By what means does it determine what is a keeper and how come it does not just file away the good ones and discard the bad?

www.arnoldwilsonphotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment